Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Why I am I who I am today, and why I support Bersih.

http://www.globalbersih.org/2012/04/18/bersihstories-clement-ting-petaling-jaya-formerly-in-melbourne/

I was once a Malaysian that held 0% interest in politics and love for the country. I had the belief that as long as I can stand on my own two feet and excel academically, I will be able to succeed anywhere in the world. I never had much love for the country much as I felt the country did not have much love for me. I studied in Australia for my 3 year degree where I had planned to migrate, live there, and die there. Having met people from various backgrounds and nationalities made me felt highly embarrassed to be a Malaysian. Every time a foreigner asked me about my country, I often came up as highly critical.

This all changed after having a chat with an Indonesian girl who overheard my criticism about my country. She was 17+ back then. Yet, she was able to change my life and views completely. I remember she told me that this is the country that I grew up in. No matter how bad it has treated you, this will always be your home. Irreplaceable memories grew from it. Unforgettable friends were made there. Our families live there. Our teachers, neighbours, and everyone else that we love, are still there. Yes, Australia is a better country to live in. A higher income, an easier lifestyle, and a more promising career. But will you be satisfied? Will you be content, living in a foreign land with no roots?

Though 3 years younger than me, she was able to think more maturely. I felt highly ashamed after that, realizing how cowardly I was, I began to ponder upon my actions. For many nights before closing my eyes to sleep, I began to think about my past, my memories and my friends. Yes, those were sweet memories. I remember the tough times that I had went through, the silly things that I did, the sad or even my painful moments.

Looking back, these are the experiences that I can share with my friends, make a laugh about it, and felt great to have live through life in this way. This is the fun-painful times that I too wish my future children will be able to live in. To have a life that I once had, to have a place that they too can term it their one true home, and when they reach my age, talk about it with their friends, and too, smile at it.
My plan was to always run away from this problem. Never once have I thought of facing it.

However, the advice I was given by the girl also made me realize how fortunate I was to have an education, more so one from a prestigious university. It made me realize that if I can stay abroad, who is going to take care of those that I love that are still stuck in the country? Not all my friends and relatives are fortunate as me. Some failed to even enter college because they were just not gifted academically. Who is going to take care of them, if not people like me? More importantly, who is going to take care of my parents while I am gone?

All these thoughts changed me completely. I soon realised that there were many Malaysians, working hard to pave the way towards a true democracy by standing up to the current government. This provided a shed of light to what was what once seemed to be completely dark cave in my world. The unravelling of Bersih 2.0 was this light for me. It made me understand how much home meant. When we sang the national anthem at Federation Square in Melbourne as one people and one voice, I could truly appreciate its meaning, for the first time as a Malaysian.

I would like to end this by sharing a quote from a friend which has touched my heart. “Why is it human nature to remember their bitter memories better than their happy ones? Because it is also human nature that we continue to never stop searching for our happy ones. Would you like to join me and search for a happy future together?”

No comments:

Post a Comment